Recipe courtesy of Chef Yury Krasilovsky.
The zero-waste broth made with kitchen vegetable scraps adds a delicious earthy flavor to this hearty meatless chowder.
4 cups onion skins or leek tops
4 medium yellow onions, diced
5 pounds broccoli stems, finely chopped
1 quart prepared zero-waste broth
Salt and white pepper to taste
1-1/2 cups sliced green onions
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- For zero-waste broth: Combine all ingredients in large stockpot; bring to a boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 30 min. skimming scum from surface as needed. Cool; strain through fine mesh sieve.
- For chowder: Bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; for half the time directed on package. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and onion in large stockpot on medium heat. Cook 4-6 min. or until onion is translucent. Add flour; cook 1-2 min. or until the flour reaches a blond color. Stir in broccoli stems, potato scraps, stock, milk and herb stems; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 10 min. Remove from heat.
- Cool slightly; season to taste with salt and white pepper. Blend pot with immersion blender until smooth.
- Serve garnished with cheese and green onions.