Just a touch of fragrant truffle oil brings together this elegant dish.
3.3 pounds Barilla Whole Grain Penne
6 ounces dried morel mushrooms
8 ounces julienned pancetta
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds diced leeks
1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
1 quart heavy cream
as needed truffle oil
4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
as needed salt
as needed pepper
- Cook the Barilla pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
- Reconstitute the morels in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and chop.
- Cook the pancetta until crispy. Drain the fat and set aside.
For each serving, to order:
- Reheat 1 1/3 cups pasta in simmering water.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil and sweat 1 ounce leeks until tender. Add about 1/2 ounce morels and saute for 2 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons broth, reduce by half, and stir in 3 tablespoons cream. Season with salt and pepper. Very lightly season with truffle oil.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce.
- Plate and garnish with 1/2 teaspoon parsley and 1/3 ounce pancetta.