Here’s a great way to use root vegetables, as served at the Modern Casual event in June 2016. Choose rainbow carrots for the most color variety. If you can’t find micro dandelion greens, substitute any other baby greens for a shot of color and flavor.
3 pounds Barilla Whole Grain Penne
1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced onion
4 1/2 pounds sliced rainbow carrots
1 1/2 pounds diced turnips
Salt and pepper
6 cups beef or vegetable stock
3 tablespoons. chopped fresh parsley
3 cups crumbled gorgonzola cheese
1 1/2 cups micro dandelion greens
- Cook the Barilla pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. ternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
For each serving, to order:
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a pan and saute 1 tablespoon onion until translucent. Add 2 1/2 ounces carrots and 1 ounce turnips and saute until tender and lightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze with 1/4 cup stock and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, reheat 1 cup pasta in simmering water. Drain and add to the vegetables. Add a pinch of parsley.
- Toss to coat and plate the pasta. Garnish with 2 tablespoons gorgonzola and 1 tablespoon micro greens.