It looks and tastes like a classic American mac and cheese, but with a fraction of the fat and no actual cheese! Pureed parsnips, turmeric and “nootch” (aka nutritional yeast) blend into the half-and-half for texture, flavor and color. Try it with cashew milk or cream for a fully vegan option.
Turmeric and Parsnip Mac and Cheese Bowl with Bread Crumb Topping
3 lbs Barilla® Cellentani
3 cups diced parsnips
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 ea medium onions
3 tbsp tumeric
6 cups half and half
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
Ingredients for the bread crumbs:
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¾ cup panko
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a medium pot, sauté onion and turmeric in olive oil for 3-4 minutes until slightly opaque. Add the parsnips and half and half then bring to a simmer and cook until tender; season with salt and white pepper. When the parsnips are cooked, add the nutritional yeast and puree until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko, parsley, garlic powder and paprika, then place into a large skillet with olive oil. Toast for 2 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain 1 minute under required cooking time and toss with the sauce.
- Portion pasta into bowls then top with bread crumbs.