Shredded Australian Lamb Shank Spaghetti With Parsley-Mint Pesto
1. Cook the Barilla® pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
2. Trim the shanks and dust them with the seasoned flour. Heat 6 Tbsp. oil in one or two rondeaus and brown them on all sides, working in batches. Remove the shanks to a sheet pan.
3. Add the remaining 6 Tbsp. oil to the pan(s) and saute the onions, carrots, and celery until soft.
4. Return the shanks to the pan(s) and add the thyme, tomatoes, stock, wine, and enough water to just cover the meat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the lamb is starting to fall off the bones. Discard the thyme. Let the shanks cool in the sauce.
5. Make the pesto: Combine the parsley, mint, garlic, and pine nuts and blend until coarsely chopped. Add the cheese and XVOO in a steady stream until the mixture forms a thick paste. Transfer to a container and coat the top with oil to prevent darkening.
6. For each serving, to order: Shred the meat off one shank and reheat it with some of the sauce.
7. Reheat 2 cups spaghetti in simmering water. Drain and toss it with 2 Tbsp. pesto. Plate the pasta, top it with the lamb and sauce, and drizzle 2 more Tbsp. pesto on top.