Our own Chef Lorenzo Boni hails from Bologna, and this is adapted from his family recipe. Learn from the master!
3 lbs Barilla® Rigatoni
3 ea celery stalks
3 ea carrots
12 oz pancetta
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1½ lbs ground beef
1½ lbs ground pork
1½ cups dry white wine
1 cup tomato paste
9 cups water
1½ cups Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Cook the pasta for 6 minutes, drain, and toss with some oil. Place onto a sheet tray then into the fridge to cool down.
- In a robot coupe, process the vegetables and pancetta until they are finely ground.
- Add the ingredients to a medium sized pot with the olive oil and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the meat and brown well, about 15 minutes.
- Deglaze with the white wine; evaporate completely then cover with water. Add the tomato paste and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Cook for approximately 2 hours. The sauce should be thick and the meat should be very tender.
- For service, bring a large pot of water to a boil and heat the Bolognese in a large rondo.
- Blanch the pasta in the boiling salted water for 1 minute then combine with the sauce.
- Garnish with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.