Recipe courtesy of Chef Yury Krasilovsky.
3 pounds Barilla Red Lentil Penne
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cups onion, small diced
1/2 cup chopped garlic
6 cups zucchini, small diced
1 tablespoon ground all spice
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups tomato paste
4 quarts water
salt and white pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups tahini
3 cups mint, chopped
1 1/2 cups pine nuts, toasted
6 each serrano peppers
6 each garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups cilantro
3/4 cup flat leaf parsley
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large rondo add the olive oil and heat on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, eggplant and zucchini. Saute for 5 minutes over high heat.
- Add the spices and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste and water then bring to a simmer, making sure to fully incorporate the tomato paste. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper then fold in the tahini, remove the skillet from the heat.
- Schug: Combine the jalapeno, garlic, cilantro and parsley in a food processor then pulse until broken down. Fold in the lemon juice, cumin, coriander and olive oil then season to taste.
- Fold the schug into the ragu
- Cook the pasta according to the directions then drain and combine with the hot sauce.
- Garnish with mint and toasted pine nuts.