These meatless “meatballs” are the perfect choice for a plant-based main dish.
Red Lentil Penne with Chickpea “Meatballs” and Spicy Tomato Sauce
1 box Barilla Red Lentil Pasta
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup Parmigiano Cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup panko
3 cups San Marzano tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 cup onion, julienne
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Parmigiano reggiano, grated
10 basil leaves, julienne
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the first 6 ingredients, starting with garlic, and pulse until smooth.
- Remove from the processor and roll into quarter sized balls.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and sear on all sides.
- Remove the meatballs from the skillet and add remaining olive oil, onion and chili flakes, then sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions, drain, and combine with the sauce and meatballs.
- Garnish with the cheese and basil before serving.