Red Lentil Penne with Braised Lamb Curry and Meatballs
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt. Cook the pasta for half the recommended time then drain and toss with some oil. Place onto a sheet tray then into the fridge to cool down.
2. In a large rondo, heat olive oil.
3. Season lamb with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, cook until a deep golden brown color is achieved.
4. Add chicken stock and bay leaf, gently simmer for 1 ½ hours, and remove from heat. Let lamb rest in liquid for 15 minutes, then strain liquid, reserve lamb, remove bay leaf, and begin sauce.
5. In same large rondo, heat olive oil with shallots, garlic, ginger, carrots, and turmeric for approximately 2-3 minutes until softened.
6. Add the curry powder and cook for an additional minute. Immediately add lamb stock, tomato sauce, and shredded coconut, and simmer very slowly for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, carefully blend in a Vitamix.
8. Place back into rondo. Whisk in yogurt, add lamb to sauce. Reserve for pasta dish or cool down when ready to prepare pasta. May be prepared a day ahead of time.
9. In a mixing bowl, combine ground lamb, shallots, kosher salt, black pepper, parmesan cheese, whole egg, bread crumbs, mint, and brown butter, and mix until all ingredients are combined very well. Make 36 meatballs approximately 1.25 oz each.
10. Bake on a parchment-lined small sheet tray for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven, reserve, hold warm and serve. May be prepared a day ahead and reheated in the lamb curry sauce.
11. To put everything together, combine the meatballs and sauce and bring to a simmer.
12. Once simmering, add the pasta and stir to combine, cook for 2-3 minutes, then place into a large serving platter and top with more shredded coconut to garnish.