|A rich and flavorful sauce made from lamb, chickpeas, Omani (dried) limes and Turmeric|
Persian Lamb and Chickpea Stew
4 oz Cooked Barilla Pasta, Rethermed
½ Tbsp Butter
4 oz Finished Sauce
¼ tsp Fresh Tarragon, freshly minced
¼ tsp Mint, freshly minced
1 Tbsp Crumbled Sheep’s Milk feta
Pinch of Sumac
2 tsp Turmeric, ground
3 Pounds Lamb shank, bone in
1 tsp Salt, Kosher
1/8 tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
½ Cup Chickpeas, Dried
½ Cup Cannellini Beans, Dried
2 oz Olive Oil
2 LG Yellow Onions, Quartered
1 Tbsp Flour, All Purpose
¼ C Tomato Paste
2 lbs Russet Potatoes, Peeled and diced into 1 in pieces
6 ea Omani, Dried Persian limes, rinsed and punctured multiple times with a fork all over
- The day before you make this dish, coat the lamb shanks in the salt, pepper and then turmeric, place in a covered pan in the fridge overnight. Soak the chickpeas and white beans in 4 cups of water overnight in the fridge.
- Next day, in a large Dutch oven over medium heat add in the olive oil and sear the shanks on all sides, add in onions and brown lightly, add flour, stir in well and cook for 2 minutes. Add in tomato paste and 8 cups water, whisk to dissolve tomato paste. Bring to a boil, add drained soaked beans lower to a simmer and skim. Cover pot partially and cook 2 ½ hours.
- Add potatoes and Omani limes to pot, continue simmering until meat is completely tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Remove limes from pot juice them into the soup passing through a sieve.
- Remove meat, potatoes and beans and let cool slightly, pull meat off bones and then mash meat, potatoes and chickpeas with a masher, return to pot, bring to a simmer, adjust seasoning. This is your base sauce, use or chill immediately to below 41*F within 2 hours.
- Retherm pasta and add to a sauté pan, add in 4 ounces of finished sauce making sure you get a equal amount of meat and beans, add in 1 tbsp butter and fresh herbs, toss and plate in a bowl.
- Top with feta cheese and Sumac