Orzo take the place of Arborio rice in this risotto-inspired meal.
4 pounds Barilla Orzo Pasta
1 cup olive oil
2 pounds julienned prosciutto
1 quart finely diced red onion
1/4 cup minced garlic
6 pounds thinly sliced assorted mushrooms
1 gallon chicken stock
1 quart white wine
2 quarts heavy cream
1 quart chopped fresh parsley
2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup julienned fresh basil
1 1/2 pounds grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté the prosciutto, onions, and garlic in olive oil in a large rondeau until the prosciutto begins to crisp.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to release their juices.
- Add the Barilla Orzo Pasta and stir for 1 to 2 minutes to coat with oil.
- Add the stock and wine and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring, or until the pasta is only halfway cooked.
- Stir in the cream and herbs and bring just to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese.
- Serve immediately or spread on sheet pans to cool and reheat 2-cup portions with a bit of stock.