Bite-sized filled rigatoni make great appetizers with a variety of savory fillings.
8 ounces Barilla Mezzi Rigatoni
1 tablespoon butter
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
as needed salt
as needed pepper
2 ounces finely diced fresh porcini mushrooms
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the Barilla pasta for the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
- To fill, put desired filling in a pastry bag with a round tip. Fill 36 rigatoni and stand each on end in a paper liner. Garnish as directed. Refrigerate until service.
- Filling: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
In a separate saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Add it to the roux. Simmer 5 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Saute mushrooms with olive oil for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cool. Combine mushrooms, bechamel, and cheese and refrigerate until cold.
- Fill rigatoni and garnish with chopped parsley.