Bite-sized filled rigatoni make great appetizers with a variety of savory fillings.
8 ounces Barilla Mezzi Rigatoni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
3 ounces gorgonzola cheese
2 1/4 ounces toasted walnut halves
1 cup milk
as needed salt
as needed pepper
- Cook the Barilla pasta for the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
- To fill, put desired filling in a pastry bag with a round tip. Fill 36 rigatoni and stand each on end in a paper liner. Garnish as directed. Refrigerate until service.
- Filling: Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and cook 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring.
In a separate saucepan, bring milk to a boil.
- Add milk to roux and whisk for 5 minutes, until smooth. Add cheese; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cool.
- Fill rigatoni and garnish each piece with a walnut.