In the Italian style, this lasagne is layered with a bechamel sauce and savory leek and sausage sauce.
3 pounds Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagne
3 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds bulk Italian sausage
36 ounces finely diced leeks
6 ounces butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 quarts milk
as needed salt
as needed white pepper
6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
as needed chopped fresh parsley
- Spray a 2-inch deep hotel pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat the oil and crumble the sausage into it to brown for 5 minutes. Add the leeks and cook 5 to 10 more minutes, to wilt and soften them. Remove from the heat.
- Make a béchamel by melting the butter in a small pot. Stir in the flour and cook to a light blonde roux. Bring the milk to a boil in a separate pot and slowly whisk the roux into it. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the sausage mixture, Parmigiano cheese, and parsley into the béchamel. This can be prepared ahead and cooled. Rewarm before layering with pasta sheets.
- DO NOT BOIL THE LASAGNE SHEETS. When layering, slightly overlap lasagne sheets. They will expand to the edges of the pan during cooking. Spread sauce and filling to edges of lasagne sheets. Layer lasagne as follows:
1. Spread 1 to 2 cups sauce on the bottom of the pan.
2. Layer 10 uncooked lasagne sheets, then 4 to 5 cups sauce over the pasta.
3. Repeat with 3 more layers, using 9 sheets lasagna each time.
4. Layer remaining 10 uncooked lasagne sheets and remaining sauce.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake in 350°F oven for 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
To reheat per order: Bake, uncovered, in a 350-degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until browned and bubbly. Sprinkle with minced fresh parsley.