Here’s a clever way to serve a pasta hors d’oeuvre on its own spoon! This is easily scaled up for larger crowds. The leftover cream sauce is wonderful tossed with fettucine and roasted chicken.
1 (9-ounce) box Barilla Oven Ready Lasagne
1 medium minced shallot
as needed extra-virgin olive oil
12 ounces rinsed spinach
2 cups drained ricotta cheese
2 large whisked eggs
as needed lemon zest
as needed salt
as needed black pepper
as needed cayenne
as needed freshly grated nutmeg
as needed fresh lemon juice
as needed minced fresh thyme
as needed chopped fresh parsley
as needed chopped fresh chives
1 quart heavy cream
1 Parmesan cheese rind
1 zested lemon
25 halved cherry tomatoes
- Saute the shallots in olive oil until they are translucent. Add the spinach and saute just until it is wilted. Drain, cool, and squeeze dry the spinach. Rough chop it and mix it with the ricotta, eggs, and seasonings to taste (lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, thyme, parsley, and chives).
- Blanch the lasagne sheets in boiling water just until they are pliable. Drain and cover to keep soft. Spread each sheet thinly with filling, as for sushi. Roll each one up the short way and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, twisting the ends closed.
- Poach the lasagne “sausages” in simmering water for 3 minutes. Put them in a single layer on a sheet pan and refrigerate until they are cold.
- Bring the cream, Parmesan rind, and lemon zest to a simmer and reduce the cream by half. Season it with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Toss the tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast until they are softened but not mushy. Set aside to cool.
- To serve, cut each sausage into 1-inch pieces and steam them to reheat. Top each spoon with about 1 tablespoon cream sauce and a lasagne bite. Garnish with half of a tomato and serve.