Laing is the star of this Filipino inspired lasagna flavored with pork belly, coconut milk and garnished with a large pan-roasted shrimp. Laing is a very traditional Filipino dish made with dried taro leaves and coconut milk. This recipe makes more laing than needed for one serving. Cover extra laing tightly and freeze up to 3 months.
Lasagna with Pork Belly Laing with Wild Argentinian Shrimp
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 pounds pork belly, cut into 1-in. cubes
3 cups water
1-1/2 quarts thinly sliced yellow onions
2/3 cup minced garlic (about 3 heads)
3 tablespoons minced ginger
1/3 cup fermented shrimp paste
3 quarts coconut milk
6 ounces dried taro (gabi) leaves, cut into thin strips
10 chopped bird's-eye chiles
3 cups coconut cream
Kosher salt and pepper
3 pounds Barilla Lasagne
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
6 cups coarsely crushed pork rinds
1/2 cup butter
48 head-on Argentinian wild shrimp
6 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons coconut cream
- Heat oil in large rondeau on medium heat. Add pork belly; cook 8-10 min. or until pork begins to brown. Add water; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most liquid is evaporated.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger; cook 5-7 min. or until onions are translucent. Add shrimp paste; cook 2-3 min. or until combined.
- Stir in coconut milk and taro leaves; cook 3-5 min. until simmering. Add chiles; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 25-30 min., or until leaves are hydrated and softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in coconut cream; continue cooking 10-15 min. or until most liquid is evaporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper; cool.
For the lasagna:
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot. Add pasta; cook 2 min. less than directed on package. Drain. Lay noodles in single layer on sheet pans lined with parchment lightly sprayed with olive oil.
- Combine 1 cup prepared Pork Belly Laing with heavy cream in medium bowl. Spread 1 tablespoon Laing mixture on each noodle. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons pork rinds; roll up. Arrange lasagna rolls in hotel pans lightly sprayed with olive oil. Evenly spread remaining cream sauce over the tops of lasagna rolls. Sprinkle tops with remaining pork rinds.
- Bake 15-20 min. or until heated through.
For the shrimp:
- Heat butter in sauté pan over medium heat 3-4 min. or until browned. Add shrimp, garlic and chili powder. Cook 2 min. or until shells turn pink, stirring frequently.
- Stir in soy sauce and coconut cream; toss to coat. Serve shrimp and residual sauce atop each lasagna roll.