Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagne sheets make lasagne making faster. They cook to perfect al dente in a meaty sauce fragrant with herbs.
2 boxes Oven Ready Lasagne - DO NOT BOIL
1/4 cup olive oil
8 ounces minced red onion
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 pounds casings removed Italian sausage
1 1/2 pounds sliced mushrooms
12 ounces thinly sliced red, yellow, and green bell peppers
1 1/2 ounces chopped fresh parsley
1/2 ounces chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 ounces julienned fresh basil
1 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
4 jars divided Barilla Italian Baking Sauce
1 cup Merlot or other dry red wine
4 large eggs
2 pounds drained ricotta cheese
12 ounces shredded, divided mozzarella cheese
8 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- Spray a 4-inch deep hotel pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large rondeau, cook the onions and garlic in the oil until translucent. Add the sausage and cook through, breaking up the meat. Add the mushrooms, peppers, and herbs and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add 2 jars Barilla Italian Baking Sauce and the wine. Cook over high heat until the sauce comes to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the ricotta, 3 ounces of the mozzarella and the Parmesan cheese.
- DO NOT BOIL THE LASAGNE SHEETS. When layering, slightly overlap lasagne sheets. They will expand to the edges of the pan during cooking. Spread sauce and filling to edges of lasagne sheets. Layer lasagne as follows:
- Spread 1 jar of the Italian baking sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer 8 uncooked lasagne sheets, then 1/3 cup of sausage sauce and 1/3 of the filling over the pasta.
- Repeat with 2 more layers.
- Layer 8 uncooked lasagne sheets on top, remaining 1 jar of the Italian baking sauce, and 9 oz. mozzarella.
- Cover each pan with foil. Bake in 375°F oven for 1 hour. Uncover and continue cooking until center is hot (160° F), about 15 minutes more. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into 24 servings.
Note: Both sauce and filling can be prepared one day ahead, covered and refrigerated.
Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before assembling.