Linguine topped with hickory-smoked sausage and a slow-cooked sugo of fresh tomatoes, garlic, and onions
Cook the Barilla pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
For Sugo recipe:
- Heat olive in large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until soft. Add red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, sauté for 30 seconds to allow herbs to bloom.
- Add tomatoes, water and wine and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, mash up using potato masher –want sugo to be rustic and chunky.
- Season with kosher salt.
For each serving per order:
- Reheat 6 ounces sugo in sauté pan.
- Grill sausage and add to sugo.
- Reheat 2 cups of linguine in pasta water, drain and add to sugo and toss well.
- Swirl Linguine into bowl and top with sugo and sausage. Garnish with fried jalapeno slices.