Thai chili paste and coconut milk flavor the sauce for this zesty gluten-free dish. Avocado adds non-dairy creaminess and complements the shrimp.
Gluten Free Rotini with Shrimp and Avocado-Coconut Curry
4 1/2 pounds Barilla Gluten Free Rotini
6 cups vegetable stock
3 quarts coconut milk
6 ripe avocados
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups minced yellow onion
2 tablespoons Thai chili paste
6 pounds medium shrimp, deveined and halved lengthwise
1 1/2 pounds spring onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook the Barilla pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
- In a blender, process the vegetable stock, coconut milk, avocado, and lime juice until pureed, then season with salt. Cover and refrigerate until service.
For each serving, to order:
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a skillet and saute 1 tablespoon onion and 1/4 tsp chili paste for about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 ounces shrimp and saute until turning pink, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add about 1 cup curry sauce to the pan and bring it to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, reheat 1 1/3 cups pasta in simmering water. Drain and add it to the sauce. Toss to heat through. Plate and garnish with 1 ounce spring onions and 1 teaspoon cilantro.