This Indian-inspired vegan pasta dish is a great combination of curry, vegetables and a touch of heat.
3 pounds Barilla Gemelli
2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
9 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
3 tablespoons minced ginger
1/3 cup madras curry powder
24 ounces vegetable broth
1-1/2 cups toasted cashews, coarsely chopped
5 tablespoons safflower or canola oil
9 cups small cauliflower florets
3 cloves garlic, mince
3 red chile peppers, thinly sliced
42 ounces coconut milk
1-1/4 cups chopped cilantro
- Bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; cook for half the time directed on package. Drain; drizzle lightly with oil to prevent sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays to cool in blast chiller or cooler. Store in zipper-style plastic bags; refrigerate.
- Heat oil in large rondeau on medium heat; add onion, cauliflower and cabbage. Sauté 5-7 min. or until well browned. Add garlic, ginger, chile and curry powder; cook 1-2 min. stirring frequently.
- Stir in coconut milk and broth; gently scrape fond from bottom of pot. Remove from heat.
For each serving, to order:
- Reheat 1 cup coconut curry sauce and vegetables in skillet.
- Reheat 1 cup pasta in simmering water. Drain; add pasta to sauce in skillet.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish each serving with cilantro and cashews.