Chef Joe Paglia of Arturo Joe’s in Narragansett, RI, serves this creamy fettuccine with a grilled filet of salmon. You could also toss in chunks of salmon or serve the pasta without seafood for a vegetarian option.
3 pounds Barilla Fettuccine
3 quarts heavy cream
12 ounces butter
6 ounces balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 tablespoons dried tarragon
2 1/4 cups sliced sun-dried tomatoes
3/4 cup sliced scallions
salt and pepper
24 4-ounce portions skinless salmon
balsamic demi glace
- Cook the Barilla pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, warm the cream, butter, and balsamic and reduce them by one quarter. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. Stir in the garlic, dill, tarragon, tomatoes, and scallions and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm or cool and refrigerate.
For each serving, to order:
- Season one portion of salmon with salt and pepper and grill it to medium-rare.
- Reheat about 1 cup pasta in simmering water.
- Warm about 1/3 cup sauce in a saute pan. Drain and add the pasta to it. Toss to coat.
- Plate the pasta and top it with the salmon. Drizzle on balsamic demi glace to finish.