‘Nduja is a spreadable pork salumi that melts into a slightly spicy sauce for octopus and tomatoes. Serve it warm for the best flavor.
Ditalini Pasta Salad with ‘Nduja and Octopus
3 pounds Barilla Ditalini
3 cups 'nduja spreadable salumi
6 pounds cleaned octopus
2 onions, halved
6 pints multicolored cherry tomatoes, halved
6 lemons, quartered
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups torn fresh basil
- Cook the Barilla pasta for 1 minute less than the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking.
- Boil the octopus in salted water with the onion halves for about 30 minutes. Let cool in the liquid for 2 hours. Strain the octopus and cut it into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Sear the tomato halves in a skillet; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For each serving, to order:
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil with 2 tablespoons ‘nduja and 4 ounces octopus.
- Stir about 1 cup pasta ino the octopus with 1/2 cup tomatoes and 1 tablespoon basil.
- Juice 1/4 lemon into the pan and toss together. Plate.