Collard greens, vegetable broth, and lemon juice transform this pesto into something unique.
Collard Green Pesto
3 packages Barilla pasta
3 cups collard greens, trimmed and chopped
1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves
1 ½ cups grated pecorino romano cheese
1 ½ ea lemons, zested and juiced
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
6 each garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon Himalayan pink salt
1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt, cook the pasta for half the recommended time, then drain and toss with some oil. Place onto a sheet tray then into the fridge to cool down.
- In a food processor, add collard greens, basil, cheese, lemon and lemon zest, and olive oil.
- Pulse all of the ingredients together.
- Add vegetable stock, herbs, garlic and seasonings.
- For service, cook the pasta in well-seasoned water for about a minute, remove from water, and toss with pesto.
- Serve in a large white bowl garnished with more lemon zest.