Have bacon and eggs for breakfast–over pasta! This traditional carbonara sauce gets a little crunch from toasted bread crumbs.
4 pounds Barilla Spaghetti
24 slices bacon
10 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic
2 ounces fresh bread crumbs
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
as needed salt
as needed black pepper
24 egg yolks
8 ounces grated parmesan cheese
2 cups thinly sliced green onions
- Cook the Barilla pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
- In large skillets, render the bacon until it is crisp. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil and saute the garlic until slightly yellow. Add the bread crumbs, parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
For each serving, to order:
- In a medium skillet, warm 1 slice bacon (chopped) in 1 teaspoon oil. Add 1 2/3 cups pasta and toss to combine.
- Whisk together 1 yolk and about 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese. Season with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Stir vigorously until the egg is cooked and creamy, adding water if needed.
- Plate and top with a sprinkle of bread crumbs and green onions.