This recipe was created by Kevin Paul from UMASS.
Chicken Carbonara with Peas, Applewood Smoked Bacon tossed with Chickpea Rotini in Lyonnaise sauce
- Cook the pasta in salted water for 7-8 minutes. Reserve pasta water and keep cooked pasta warm. Cook chicken breast to 165F and set aside.
- Render Bacon on medium heat. When bacon is crispy, remove from pan leaving the fat in pan.
- Add onion and sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic. Cook on medium for another minute or two.
- Add Pasta, Bacon and Chicken to pan. Combine Parmesan cheese with egg yolks and add to pan. Add water as needed to thin out sauce to desired consistency while constantly stirring. Take pan off heat as needed to prevent eggs to coagulate.
- Add Peas and Parsley. Season as needed.
It is important to stir constantly once adding eggs to pasta. Use the residual pasta water to lighten up the sauce. Monitor your heat on stove and adjust as needed to prevent eggs from cooking. Egg yolks start to coagulate when reaching 149 to 158 degrees. It’s important to not let sauce get too hot or sauce will scramble.