Created by Chef Pam Smith
Chicken and Campanelle “Dumplings”
1 lb. Campanelle Barilla Pasta
1 lb. chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoon Creole seasoning
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup carrots, 1/2 inch diced
1 cup celery, 1/2 inch diced
1 cup leeks, 1/2 inch diced
2 cups mushroom, 1/2 diced
2 quarts chicken bone broth
1 cup grated Parmesan, plus additional for garlic
1/2 cup chopped parsley, plus whole sprigs for garnish
- Place 2 sheet trays in the oven and preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cut each chicken thighs into four or five pieces. Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon garlic, 1/2 tablespoon Creole seasoning, and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Place single layer of chicken on hot sheet tray. Roast 12-15 minutes until cooked through and browning, remove from oven.
- Prep vegetables and place carrots and celery in one bowl, leeks and mushrooms in another. Toss each bowl of vegetables with 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and ½ tablespoon of Creole seasoning.
- Put carrots and celery onto the hot sheet pan in the oven, roast 7-8 minutes, and then add mushrooms and leeks. Roast 5 additional minutes, remove from oven.
- Bring chicken bone broth to a boil. Add and cook Campanella pasta in broth until al dente. Drain and reserve broth. Place pasta on a sheet tray to air-cool on a tray.
- Place 2 cups of cooled pasta in blender or food processor. Add 4 cups of reserved bone broth cooking liquid (that’s about how much you’ll have left after cooking). Blend until smooth. Strain with large hole strainer back into the pasta cooking pot. Heat and fold in Parmesan cheese, simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a sauté pan, add chicken and vegetables, sauté for one minute. Add pasta and sauce , simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Serve in a large bowl; garnish with fresh chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.