Recipe courtesy of Chef Alex Hoefer.
White wine, citrus, and saffron provide the flavor while the shrimp, radish, almonds and nutrient rich watercress provide the texture.
Ingredients for the saffron cream:
¼ teaspoon saffron threads
Ingredients for the garnish:
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 each radish, sliced thin
½ cup marcona almonds, crushed
4 tablespoons chives, finely sliced
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 each garlic cloves, chopped
¼ cup preserved lemon peel, minced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt, cook the pasta for half the recommended time then drain and toss with some oil. Place onto a sheet tray then into the fridge to cool down.
- Meanwhile, in a large rondo, add the white wine and orange juice and bring to a simmer.
- When the liquid is reduced by half, add the saffron and reduce the liquid until thickened.
- Add heavy cream, bring to a simmer then reduce to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and white pepper.
- In a separate pan, add the olive oil, and heat over medium. Sear the shrimp on both sides, making sure to cook well. Add the preserved lemon, shallots, and garlic, and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp to the cream sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Add the pasta and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and fold in the watercress.
- Garnish with radish, chives, and marcona almonds.