Cajun Pipette Mac and Cheese Waffles
Recipe by Chef Zoe Adelstein, Providence, RI.
Smoked andouille sausage combines with a creamy cheese sauce and a touch of heat in this crispy crunchy waffle.
3 ea andouille sausage, diced
3 ea red bell pepper, diced
4 cups sharp cheddar (white and orange mix)
3 medium yellow onions, diced
9 ea garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp Zoe’s Cajun Spice Mix
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt, cook the pasta for 7 minutes then drain and toss with some oil. Place onto a sheet tray then into the fridge to cool down.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large pan sear the andouille sausage until fully cooked and well browned.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and hold in a bowl.
- Add peppers and garlic to the same pan and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate small pot add the butter, olive oil and onions then cook over low heat until the onions have slightly browned and become super sweet. Combine with the sausage.
- For the roux, in a separate medium pot add the butter and melt. When melted add the flour and whisk well so its fully combined. Cook over medium high heat for 1 minutes stirring well.
- Add the milk, heavy cream, dry mustard, hot sauce and Cajun spice mix. Continue to whisk and reduce the heat to medium.
- When the mixture begins to bubble add the cheese and reduce the heat to low. Whisk until the cheese is well combined.
- n a large bowl combine the pasta, cheese sauce and sausage and pepper mixture.
- Butter a rimmed baking sheet and spread the mac and cheese evenly. Wrap in plastic and place into the fridge until firm and cold.
- Remove the mac and cheese from the pan and cut into bread sized slices. Place more cheese between the two slices.
- sing a waffle maker, add the mac and cheese and cook the pasta waffle until perfectly browned and crispy. It should easily lift off the waffle maker.