This “Shepherd’s Pasta” typifies the simple, rustic cuisine of Abruzzo. A medley of fresh summer vegetables and earthy dried porcini mushrooms form the base of the sauce, finished off with a blend of fresh sheep’s milk ricotta and romano cheese.
1 box Barilla Bucatini
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove
1 small carrot, chopped
1/2 ounce reconstituted Porcini mushrooms
1 red pepper, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 eggplant, diced
3 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
10 basil leaves, torn
2 cups fresh sheep's milk ricotta cheese
1/2 cup romano cheese
To taste salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile in a skillet sautée onion with olive oil until translucent, about 3-4 minutes, add carrot and garlic, sautée one minute, stir in veggies and cook thoroughly over medium heat.
- Stir in tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and sauté two more minutes.
- Meanwhile in a bowl combine ricotta to romano cheese.
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and toss with veggies and basil.
- Top with ricotta cheese before serving.