Slowly simmered vegetables, roasted cauliflower and a touch of citrus and herbs.
3 pounds Barilla Mezzi Rigatoni
Ingredients for the almond gremolata:
2 cups whole almonds
½ cup basil chiffonade
¼ cup lemon zest
¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Ingredients for the cauliflower bolognese:
1 ½ cups blended oil
1 ½ teaspoon fresh garlic
1 ½ cups celery, ¼ inch dice
1 ½ cups carrots, ¼ inch dice
1 ½ cups onions, ¼ inch dice
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
¾ teaspoon black pepper
8 cups cauliflower, riced
2 cups red wine
1 #10 can crushed tomatoes
¼ cup parsley, chopped
¼ cup chiffonade basil
1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
Ingredients for the garnish:
1 quart butternut squash, 1/8 inch diced and roasted
1 pound stracchino or mascarpone cheese
- Pulse the almonds in a robo coupe until they are broken down but still chunky. Leave some larger pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl combine everything and toss until evenly incorporated.
- Heat a large rondeau over medium heat.
- Add the blended oil and allow to warm for 2 minutes.
- Add the celery, onion, and carrot. Sweat down over medium heat for 6 minutes, salt the vegetables, then continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Once everything is translucent and tender, add the pepper and cauliflower.
- Stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Deglaze with red wine and reduce by 2/3. Add tomato paste and stir it in well until all vegetables are covered.
- Cook for 3 minutes then add the crushed tomatoes. Mix them in well and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add fresh herbs. Cook for 2 minutes, remove from heat, and cool down.
- When ready for service, heat the bolognese in a large rondeau or tilt skillet.
- Drop the pasta into boiling water for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce, then fold in the roasted butternut squash.
- Scoop the pasta into cast iron skillets, top with dollops of cheese and bake in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes or until melted.
- Remove from oven and top with gremolata.