Celebrate the colors of Italy in this vegetarian dish. Try substituting chard or other hardy greens for the kale.
3 1/8 lb. Barilla Veggie Rotini
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups white wine
Salt and pepper
2 1/3 cups grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 lb. kale, chopped
12 red bell peppers, roasted and diced
1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Cook the Barilla® pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
- For each serving, to order: Reheat about 1 cup pasta in simmering water.
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tsp. oil and a pinch of garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add about 2 oz. kale and cook until wilted.
- Deglaze with 1 Tbsp. wine and add about 1/2 cup red peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta and toss it with the vegetables. Plate it and garnish with 2 tsp. pine nuts and 1 1/2 Tbsp. cheese.