This recipe was created by Alexander Ong. This recipe is a classic Puttanesca; a comfort dish with classic techniques utilizing a toothsome, Gluten-free lentil pasta. It has simple and fresh flavors.
Barilla Red Lentil Penne with anchovy, tomatoes, olives and basil
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp anchovy oil
2 oz chopped anchovies
1 oz minced garlic
0.25 oz dried chilies, minced (about 5 pieces)
1 lb cherry tomato halves
5 oz chopped kalamata olives
3 oz capers
1 lb Barilla Red Lentil Penne
2 cups pasta water
0.5 oz chopped flat leaf parsley
0.25 oz basil leaves, hand torn for garnish
3 oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place 4 quarts of water in a pot and bring to a boill.
- Add 2 tablespoon of kosher salt to the water.
- Cook the pasta according to the manufacturer’s instructions on the box.
- Save 2 cups of the cooked pasta water.
- In a large sauté pan, add the olive oil and anchovy oil over medium high heat.
- Add the chopped ingredients (anchovies, garlic, dried chilies, tomatoes, olives and capers) and sauté for 2 minutes. The ingredients should be fragrant.
- Add the cooked penne pasta plus 2 cups of the pasta water and toss to mix well
- Let the pasta water reduce and thicken to form a sauce.
- Check for taste and mix in the chopped parsley and mix well.
- Plate and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with hand torn basil and serve.