This recipe was created by Bob Bankert from UMASS
Barilla Red Lentil Penne Spring Vegetable Carbonara
3 lb Barilla Red Lentil Penne
2 oz olive oil
2 lb grilled baby artichoke hearts
2 lb ramps, cleaned
24 oz mushroom “pancetta”
24 oz packaged roasted tomatoes
1 tbsp black pepper
18 egg yolks
18 oz grated Parmesan cheese
16 oz reserved pasta water
12 oz Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved
8 oz pea tendrils
1 tbsp olive oil
24 oz king trumpet mushrooms
3 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- For the mushroom pancetta, cut the king trumpet mushroom into ½” thick slices, toss with the remaining ingredients, and marinate overnight.
- Drain any excess marinade off of the mushrooms, place them on a parchment paper lined sheet pan, and roast in a 325 degrees oven for 10-15 minutes or until slightly roasted. Remove from oven, cool, dice into ¼” pieces, and set aside.
- Toss the ramps with olive oil and salt, place them onto a sheet pan, and roast them in a 425 degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until slightly charred and tender. Remove from oven, cut into about 2” sections, and reserve.
- Cook the Barilla Red Lentil Penne in salted boiling water until very al dente and then drain, reserving about 2 cups of pasta water.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, parmesan cheese, and about half of the pasta water.
- Heat a skillet over low/medium heat with a little olive oil and add the mushroom pancetta, artichoke hearts, and roasted tomatoes; sauté for 1-2 minutes or until hot.
- Reheat the pasta in boiling water, drain, add to the pan with the vegetables, and toss.
- Add a little of the reserved pasta water to the bottom of the pan and heat through, then over low heat slowly drizzle in the egg yolk/cheese mixture while tossing the pasta. Continue tossing the pasta over low heat until the sauce thickens. Add a little more reserved pasta water if needed to keep the sauce at the right consistency. Season with black pepper and salt.
- Place pasta in a bowl. Toss together the pea greens, shaved pecorino romano, and olive oil and garnish on top.