Marinated artichokes and caramelized shallots provide the base flavors, while peppadew peppers add a piquant punch.
3 lbs Barilla Veggie Penne
4 large shallots, thinly sliced
56 ounces pickled peppadew peppers
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
8 ounces butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup loosely packed small basil leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup olive oil
18 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 cups drained oil-packed marinated artichokes, divided
2 cups dry vermouth
1/2 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Bring salted water to a boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stove top. Add pasta; cook 1 min. less than directed on package. Reserve 6 cups pasta cooking water; drain.
- Drain and quarter peppers; reserve 1/2 cup of brine. Quarter half of the artichokes. Process remaining artichokes in food processor until smooth.
- Heat oil in large rondeaux on medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; sweat 2-3 min. or until translucent. Add quartered peppers and artichokes; cook 1-2 min. until heated through. Stir in reserved pasta water and brine, pepper, pureed artichokes and vermouth; bring to a boil.
- Add pasta, butter and herbs; toss with sauce until combined. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Top with cheese and a drizzle of olive oil before serving.
Chef Notes: Oil-packed artichokes are preferred as they create the base flavors of the sauce. When substituting brined artichokes, rinse and drain well before puree step.