Diced onion adds depth of flavor to this traditional cheese sauce.
3 pounds Barilla Elbows
1 1/2 cups butter
3/4 cup flour
36 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
18 cups milk
8 ounces diced onion
2 tablespoons salt
- Heat the milk in a saucepan.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Stir in the flour and salt and cook to thicken.
- Add the milk, whisking to blend. Bring the mixture to a steady simmer.
- Add the uncooked pasta, cover, and simmer gently for about 5 minutes, until the pasta is only partially cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the cheese, and pour the mixture into hotel pans to cool.
For each serving, to order: Reheat 1 1/4 cups pasta and sauce with a splash of milk if necessary to thin the sauce.