This classic Italian sauce features the spice of chili flakes and the smokiness of pancetta.
6 pounds Barilla Collezione Bucatini
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons chili flakes
168 ounces canned tomatoes
salt as needed
12 ounces grated romano cheese
6 pounds yellow onions, julienned
6 cloves garlic, minced
36 ounces pancetta, julienned
10 cups water
12 ounces grated parmesan cheese
30 leaves fresh basil, julienned
- Cook the Barilla pasta for half the time indicated on the package. Drain pasta and drizzle with some olive oil to prevent from sticking. Place pasta flat on sheet trays or hotel pans and cool in a blast chiller. Alternatively, cool it down in a walk-in cooler. Store in zip lock bags or sealed plastic container; refrigerate and use within several hours.
- Sauté the onions in the oil until lightly golden. Add the garlic and chili flakes, sauté briefly and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Render the pancetta in a pan until lightly crisp. Add the tomatoes, water, and the sautéed onions. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the flavors come together. Cool in batches and refrigerate until service.
For each serving, to order:
- Reheat 2 cups pasta in boiling salted water for 40 to 60 seconds. Drain and add to a pan with 1 1/2 cups sauce. Heat through.
- Plate and garnish with 2 tablespoons each cheese and 1 tablespoon basil.