The ideas, photos and recipes coming to us from our partnership with School Meals That Rock are an amazing source of inspiration. Some of the ideas and stories are too good not to share! Like this one from Coppell ISD in Texas…
Before the start of the school year, the team at Coppell teamed up with Grapevine-Colleyville, a sister district down the road, for a day of Staff Development highlighted with a team cook-off in the style of the Chopped TV show. Not only was the day a success for fun team-building and getting everyone back into the school spirit, they came out of it with some great new recipes!
Chef Helen Duran and Director Jean Mosley generously shared this rough outline of the winning dish from the cook-off. It’s a baked pasta dish using Barilla® Whole Grain penne, pulled chicken and marinara sauce, with Panko bread crumbs for a little added crunch. It looks great on the plate! Note that we don’t have exact amounts, so if you try this out, test the quantities that work best for you!
- Barilla® Whole Grain Penne Pasta
- Pulled White and Dark meat chicken (Tyson commodity product)
- Marinara Sauce (canned)
- Italian Seasoning Blend
- Onion Powder
- Granulated Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- Yellow Onion, chopped
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Par-cook the pasta, cool.
- Sauté the red bell pepper and onion in the olive oil until tender. If needed, the veggies can be mixed with the olive oil and baked.
- Mix the chicken with the marinara, veggies and seasonings.
- Put the mix in a shallow pan and cover with bread crumbs.
- Bake until pasta is cooked through.